Writing Letters to the Editor
- Posted by scoadmin
- On January 9, 2022
- Open the letter with “To the Editor.”
- Your first sentence should clearly tell the reader what you’re writing about. Make sure your opening encourages people to keep reading the letter.
- Why is the issue you are writing about important?
- Support your view with examples. Personal stories and statistics are helpful.
- Be clear, concise, respectful, and try not to exceed the word limit. Shorter letters are more likely to be accepted and published.
- If you have an idea regarding how to solve the problem or address the issue, include your idea(s).
- Make sure to include your name, your address, and contact information. Most media outlets will not publish a letter to the editor without verifying the identity of the author.
Some newspapers use an email form for the submission of letters to the editor.
Below are links to Ohio’s major media outlets.
Cleveland Plain Dealer https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2014/08/submit_a_letter_to_the_plain_d.html
Akron Beacon Journal
Dayton Daily News