Created in 2005, the EdChoice Scholarship Program provides scholarships to students who attend the state’s lowest-rated public schools to be used toward tuition at the participating private school of their choice. The scholarship is renewable through high school graduation.
Who is eligible?
The Ohio Department of Education releases a list each year of the state’s lowest-rated public schools, which are known as designated schools.
Your child is eligible to apply for an EdChoice Scholarship if one of the bullet points below is true:
- Your child is assigned to and attends one of the schools on the list
- Your child is currently in the public school sector and is assigned to attend one of the schools on the list for the upcoming school year
- Your child attends a charter school but is assigned to attend a school on the list
- Your child is homeschooled, has not attended an Ohio school, and is assigned to attend a school on the list
A student must be eligible at both the time in which they apply and are awarded to receive a scholarship.
Note: Current private school students are not eligible to apply.
How much is the scholarship worth?
EdChoice Scholarships are worth $4,650 for students in grades K-8 and $6,000 for high school.
What private school can my child attend?
EdChoice Scholarships are only accepted at participating, chartered private schools. To see a list of the private schools that accept EdChoice Scholarships, follow these steps:
- Click here to access the dashboard
- Click on "Select Program" in the top left-hand corner
- Click on "Educational Choice Scholarship"
How do we apply?
- Start shopping – Review the list of participating private schools. Use the evaluation tools, and choose the school on the list that is the best fit for your child and family.
- Apply to a private school – Apply to the participating private school(s) of your choice. Your child will go through the regular admission process at the school.
- Scholarship application – If your child is accepted, the private school you choose will apply for the scholarship on your behalf.
Note: All steps must be completed by the application deadline to apply.
When do we apply?
The application window for the EdChoice Scholarship Program opens on February 1. The Ohio Department of Education will determine the deadline date each year. A second application window will open in July. Your child must already have been accepted at a private school before the deadline so that the school can apply for the scholarship on your behalf.
How many scholarships are available?
There are 60,000 EdChoice Scholarships available to Ohio students.
Will I have to pay any costs?
The scholarship can be used toward tuition. You will be responsible for paying other costs like application fees, uniform costs, etc. If your family does not meet the low-income guidelines (200% Federal Poverty Guidelines), you will be responsible for any tuition costs not covered by the scholarship. Parents should check with the school of their choice to see if it is possible for volunteer opportunities to offset tuition costs.
The Ohio Department of Education administers this scholarship program.
For more information on the program from the department, click here.
If you have any questions about this scholarship program,
please fill out the contact form on this page and we'll get back to you soon with answers.
You can also always give us a call at 614-223-1743 or 1-800-673-5876.